DECORAH, Iowa – Brad Vogel won the 200-meter dash and placed second in the 100 to lead the Simpson men's track and field team at the 2014 Iowa Conference Track and Field Championships, which concluded Saturday.
Simpson placed seventh with 43 points, ahead of Coe (20). Wartburg won the team title with 231 points.
A senior from Donnellson, Iowa, Vogel won the 200 in 22.09 seconds, capping off a memorable performance in the final conference meet of his career. He added a second-place effort in the 100 (10.87) and helped the 4x100-meter relay to fifth (42.82).
Vogel narrowly missed out on a double-championship, finishing just .02 seconds behind Dubuque's Rick Valcin in the 100. He closes his career as a two-time Iowa Conference champion, adding a win in the 55 meters at this year's indoor championships.
Tyler Kenny, Jordan Beem and Reid Ryan joined Vogel in the 4x100, which turned in their best effort of the season.
If this weekend's efforts are any indication, the Storm have a bright future in the 400-meter hurdles. The freshman duo of Trevor McKee and Triston Twedt took third and fifth in the event, respectively. McKee crossed the finish line in 55.44 and Twedt followed in 56.63.
On Friday, the team of Jeppson, Miles Kirts, Anthony Burton and Farrand took sixth in the 4x800 relay (7:52.01).
- Brad Vogel won the 100 (10.87) and placed second in the 200 (22.09)
- Trevor McKee placed third in the 400 hurdles (55.44)
- Tirston Twedt placed fifth in the 400 hurdles (56.63)
- Matt Peason placed seventh in the 400 (50.50)
- Joe Farrand placed eighth in the 5k (15:18.44)
- 4x400 (Sheeder, Pearson, Jeppson, Burton)
- 4x100 (Kenny, Vogel, Beem, Ryan) placed fifth (42.82)
- 4x800 (Jeppson, Kirts, Burton, Farrand) placed sixth (7:52.01)
- Most Valuable Field Performer - Colt Feltes, Wartburg
- Most Valuable Track Performer - Eli Horton, Central
- Coach of the Year - Marcus Newsom, Wartburg