GRINNELL, Iowa – The Simpson men's and women's track & field teams placed sixth and seventh, respectively, at the Darren Young Indoor Classic on Saturday.
It featured the most competitive field of the year for the Storm as the men tallied 38 points and the women racked up 39.5.
Augustana (Ill.) men took home the gold with 167 points while 2013 IIAC women's indoor champion, Wartburg, won with 181.
Josh Diehm led the scoring on the men's side after placing second in the long jump with a personal best of 6.35 meters and nabbing fourth in the high jump at a height of 1.89 meters. The 4x200 contingent of Brad Vogel, Jared Grove, Tyler Kenny, and Brice Sheeder earned the highest finish of second for the men's relays (1:32.81).
Defending IIAC indoor 3,000- and 5,000-meter champion, Joe Farrand, got back to work in his 2014 debut, finishing fourth in the 3,000 (8:48.53).
On the women's side Bayley Fleshner missed out on the top spot of the 60-meter hurdles, finishing second (9.21). She also earned a sixth place finish in the long jump with a leap of 4.85m. Fleshner followed that up as a part of the 4x200 squad with Sarah Ney, Lauren Martin, and Sarah Galbraith placing fourth in 1:47.37.
Next up on the docket for the Storm is the Iowa Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday.
Other Men's Highlights
- Leif Jeppson finished eighth in the 800-meter run (2:00.37)
- The distance medley team of Miles Kirts, Nick Yaeger, Farrand, and Grove earned fifth place (10:49.62)
- Isaac Frazier placed eighth in both the triple jump (11.82 meters) and long jump (5.92 meters)
Other Women's Highlights
- Hannah Moulds finished fourth in the long jump (4.93 meters)
- Ney earned a fourth place finish in the 200 meters (26.82) and seventh place in the 60-meter dash (8.27)
- Jessie Eyerly placed seventh in the 800-meter run (2:25.99)
- The distance medley team of Breanna Gaster, Jessica Gronke, and Lauren Doocy, Fleshner placed fifth (13:50.67)