Feb 01, 2014
MOUNT VERNON, Iowa – Bayley Fleshner hurdled her way to victory in the women's 60-meter hurdles in the Simpson men's and women's track & field teams' second meet, the Hilltop Invitational, hosted by Cornell College on Saturday.
Fleshner's hurdle time of 9.25 seconds is currently one of the top-25 times in that event in Division III. Her winning performance wasn't her last as she and fellow teammates Lauren Martin, Sarah Ney, and Larissa Backhaus took home the 4 x 200-meter relay crown in a time of 1:50.16.
On the men's side, senior Leif Jeppson earned the highest individual finish after placing third in the 800-meter run in 2:01.59. The distance medley relay consisting of Miles Kirts, Cody Alexander, Kellan Kremer, and Ethan Pellegrino had the highest relay placing after finishing in third with at time of 11:18.92.
Despite the absence of team scores as a measuring stick, head coach Dave Cleveland was pleased with his teams' effort.
"I was proud of the way we competed and it was good to see improvements across the board from our first to second meet," Cleveland said. "We're trying to be a little more patient in our training and trusting the process knowing the results will come in due time."
The Storm has a week off before competing at the Darren Young Invitational in Grinnell, Iowa on Feb. 15.
Other women's highlights
- Sarah Ney finished fourth in the 60-meter dash (8.38) and the 200-meter dash (27.46)
- Briana McCloskey placed fifth in the 3000-meter run (11:37.59)
- Distance medley relay of Lindsey Borgomainerio, Sarah Galbraith, Jessica Gronke, and Bree Gaster placd third in 14:04.81
- 4 X 400-meter relay team of Larissa Backhaus, Jessie Eyerly, Lauren Martin, and Bayley Fleshner placed fourth in 4:22.17
Other men's highlights
- Brad Vogel finished in fourth place in the 200-meter dash (23.41)
- Nick Yaeger placed fourth in the men's mile run (4:36.63)
- Aaron Arment placed fifth in the 60-meter dash (7.10)
- 4 x 400-meter relay team of Brice Sheeder, Triston Twedt, Leif Jeppson, and Anthony Burton placed fifth in 3:33.48
- 4 x 200-meter relay team of Jared Grove, Michael Bahl, Andy Becker, and Triston Twedt placed fifth in 1:38.40