PELLA, Iowa - The Simpson men's and women's track and field teams opened the 2014 outdoor season with six wins and a plethora of top-5 finishes at the Central College Invitational.
Both teams placed third, with the women scoring 110 points and the men 102. Central won the women's and men's title.
Getting it done for the Storm on the women's side was the dynamic duo of Bayley Fleshner and Sarah Ney. Fleshner captured her first outdoor win in the 100-meter hurdles (15.34) while Ney captured the crown in the 200-meter dash (26.17) and placed second in the 100-meters (13.08). The pair wasn't done, adding a victory in the 4x100-meter relay (50.00) along with Lauren Martin, and Sarah Galbraith.
On the men's side, Brad Vogel solidified his status as the defending 60-meter IIAC indoor champion by winning the 100-meters (11.05) and Leif Jeppson impressed with his first career win in the 800 meters (1:58.72). Vogel also earned a second-place showing in the 200 meters (22.70).
Simpson track is back in action next week at the Jim Duncan Invitational in Des Moines on April 11-12.
- Martin in the 400 meters (1:01.56) and 200 meters (26.54)
- Jessica Eyerly in the 800 meters (2:24.13)
- Borgomainerio in the 1500 (5:11.75)
- Galbraith in the 400-meter hurdles (1:11.32)
- 4x400-meter relay of Brice Sheeder, Vogel, Triston Twedt, and Pearson
- Trevor McKee in the 400-meter hurdles (56.86)
- Sheeder in the 400 meters (51.59)
- Miles Kirts in the 800 meters (1:59.81)
- Isaac Frazier in the 110-meter high hurdles (16.28)
- Ethan Pellegrino in the 5000 meters (16:22.23)
- Twedt in the 400-meter hurdles (58.89)