DECORAH, Iowa – The Simpson women are in fifth place and the men in eighth after the first day of the Iowa Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships at Luther's Sports and Recreation Center.
The women scored 17 points on the championship's first day while the men scored nine. The Wartburg women (92) and Central men (63) lead the way at the halfway point.
Fleshner, who entered the meet with the conference's fourth-fastest time in the 60-meter hurdles, ran the second-fastest time in the 55-hurdles on Friday, breaking the tape in 8.48 seconds.
Vogel placed eighth in the 55-meter dash a year ago but had yet to break the top ten in the conference in 2014. On Friday, he ran a season-best time of 6.54, the second-fastest qualifying time.
Both athletes will compete in the finals Saturday when the meet comes to a conclusion. Action begins at 9 a.m.
Women's Team Scores
- Wartburg, 92
- Loras, 57
- Luther, 39
- Dubuque, 30
- Simpson, 17
- Buena Vista, 16
- Central, 16
- Coe, 4
- Sarah Galbraith placed 4th in the pentathlon with 2,955 points
- The distance medley relay team of Jessie Eyerly, Jessica Gronke, Larissa Backhaus and Lindsey Borgomainerio placed 4th in 12:58.11
- The 4x200-meter relay team of Sarah Ney, Fleshner, Lauren Martin and Galbraith placed 4th in 1:46.88
- Ney and Martin posted the No. 5 (7.48) and No. 6 (7.51) qualifying times in the 55 meters to make the cut for Saturday's final
- Fleshner placed 7th in the long jump (16-4 1/2)
Men's Team Scores
- Central, 63
- Wartburg, 52
- Loras, 36
- Dubuque, 33
- Luther, 15.50
- Coe, 12.50
- Buena Vista, 12
- Simpson, 9