GRINNELL, Iowa - Freshman Dylan Kalinay took home another win in the 60-meter hurdles and the Simpson track and field teams turned in 10, top-five efforts at Grinnell's Darren Young Classic on Saturday.
The men's team scored 38 points to place sixth of 10 teams while the women tallied 21, good for eighth of 10.
Kalinay won the 60-meter hurdles for the second meet in a row, crossing the finish line in a season-best time of 8.44 seconds. He also won the title at the Cornell Hilltop Open on Jan. 31 and hasn't placed outside of the top three in 2015.
Kalinay teammed up with Triston Twedt, Jared Grove and Brice Sheeder for a second-place finish in the 4x200-meter relay. The quartet ran a season-best time of 1:33.93, finishing just behind Augustana (Ill.).
Isaac Frazier had Simpson's other second-place finish, clearing 6-feet, 5-inches in the high jump. His mark of 6-8 set at Cornell two weeks ago still stands at No. 14 in Division III.
Other notable performances:
- Jackson Redmond had a solid day in the field events, placing fourth in the triple jump (41-5) and fifth in the high jump (6-1 1/4)
- Brandt Seward took fourth in the long jump (20-3 3/4)
- Nick Yaeger ran a career-best 8:55.20 in the 3,000 meters to place sixth
1. Augustana (Ill.), 152.66; 2. Wartburg, 93; 3. Nebraska Wesleyan, 92; 4. Central, 55; 5. Bethel (Minn.), 44.33; 6. Simpson, 38; 7. Buena Vista, 27; 8. Principia, 10; 9. Cornell, 7; 10. Grinnell, 1
Bayley Fleshner came in second in the 60-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 9.16 seconds. She also ran the second leg on the Storm's third-place 4x200-meter relay team, joining Lauren Martin, Sarah Galbraith and Audrey LoVan.
Martin added a fifth-place effort in the 60-meter dash, running a season-best time of 8.21. Briana McCloskey also had a fifth-place finish, running the 3,000 meters in 10:50.86, the fifth-fastest time Simpson's indoor history.
Other notable performance:
- Galbraith came in sixth in the high jump (4-10 1/4)
1. Wartburg, 126; 2. Nebraska Wesleyan, 79; 3. Augustana (Ill.), 68; 4. Bethel (Minn.), 66; 5 Central, 58; 6. Cornell, 47; 7. Grinnell, 24; 8. Simpson, 21; 9. Principia, 18; 10. Buena Vista, 17
Simpson goes to the UNI-Dome Invitational in Cedar Falls on Friday, Feb. 20.