INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson women's team lost its season-opening contest to Cornell at the Buxton Tennis Complex, 5-4, to begin the fall campaign Tuesday.
The Storm (0-1) jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after getting wins at the top two singles spots. Megan Grubb pulled of the two set win by going 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2 singles, while Emily King had to go an extra set to win. Grubb fell down early after a 6-2 loss to open the match, but came back strong with 6-2, 10-6 victories to seal it.
Simpson would take two of three doubles matches to highlight opening day. The duo of Donni Kinghorn and King would win 8-6 at No. 1. The tandem of Lorin Miller and Grubb had to go to a tiebreaker to decide a winner and pulled out the 8-6 (7-3) tally.
The Rams (2-1) would go on to win four straight singles matches to claim the victory on the road.
The Storm are back in action Saturday with a doubleheader as they visit Dubuque at 9 a.m. and then travel to Loras for a 2 p.m. contest.
1. Emily King (SIM) def. Abbey Nelson 2-6, 6-2, 10-6
2. Megan Grubb (SIM) def. Emmaline Fievet 6-4, 6-4
3. Regina BermudezSmith (CCW) def. Kennedi Wright 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
4. Megan Pope (CCW) def. Donni Kinghorn 6-3, 6-4
5. Amanda Dragon (CCW) def. Samantha Goodger 6-1, 6-1
6. Natalie Brandt (CCW) def. Lorin Miller 6-2, 6-3
1. Emily King/Donni Kinghorn (SIM) def. Abbey Nelson/Emmaline Fievet 8-6
2. Megan Pope/Regina BermudezSmith (CCW) def. Kennedi Wright/Samantha Goodger 8-3
3. Megan Grubb/Lorin Miller (SIM) def. Amanda Dragon/Natalie Brandt 8-7, 7-3