STORM LAKE, Iowa — Victoria Jordan scored the golden goal 3 minutes into the second overtime period and the Simpson women's soccer team came back to beat Buena Vista 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.
The Storm (4-9, 1-3 Iowa Conference) trailed 1-0 with less than 21 minutes to play when Maddie Simmons connected on the equalizer to tie the game 1-1. Both teams managed just one shot apiece the remainder of regulation time.
Zoe Seiler made a pair of saves to preserve the tie in the first overtime period before Simmons found Jordan at the 102:57 mark for the game-winner. Seiler made eight saves in goal, improving to 2-4 on the season.
Claire Arganbright gave the Beavers (2-10-1, 0-2) a 1-0 lead with her goal in the 55th minute and Rachel Novotny made 10 saves in goal.
"Getting a conference win on the road is always tough. I thought the team fought hard and remained focused throughout the match. We definitely attacked the ball more today and that was ultimately what made the difference in the final third." — head coach Jill Serafino
Notes and Numbers
• Jordan scored the first game-winning goal of her career and her second goal overall. The sophomore connected on her first goal just five days ago in the Storm's 8-0 win at Iowa Wesleyan.
• Simmons tied her career-high with three points on Saturday. She has accumulated three points in a game two other times: against Buena Vista on Oct. 25, 2016, and against Iowa Wesleyan on Monday.
• Saturday marked Simpson's first overtime game of 2017. The Storm improved to 2-2-3 in overtime under head coach Jill Serafino.
• Seiler made her fifth-straight start in goal, earning her second win in the last three games. She owns a 1.94 goals against average as a starter.
• Simpson improved to 18-1-1 all-time against Buena Vista, beating the Beavers for the third game in a row.
The Storm host Luther on Tuesday, Oct. 10. The Norse (5-5, 2-0) had their game with Loras postponed to Sunday to due to excessive rainfall in the Decorah area on Friday and Saturday. Tuesday's start time is set for 5 p.m. at Buxton Stadium.