INDIANOLA, Iowa — The Simpson women's soccer team conceded a pair of first half goals and couldn't find an answer in a 2-0 loss to Grand View in the home opener Wednesday night.
Sydne Gutschenritter and Karianne King connected on first half goals and the Vikings (3-2) kept Simpson out of the net to snap a two-game losing streak. Caitlyn Dayton and Celenka Hommel split time in goal for the combined shutout.
Riley Adams made seven saves in goal for the Storm (0-2), who were unable to generate many chances against a tough Grand View back line. Jessica Payne and Kaitlyn Bravek combined for four of the team's six shots.
• Gutschenritter took a cross from Joy Battles in the sixth minute to put Grand View on the board.
• King made it a two-goal contest with under 3 minutes to play in the first half when she beat Adams far post from 15 yards out.
• Payne got a clean look and struck a hard shot from the top of the box early in the first half that was collected by Dayton to preserve a scoreless tie.
• Casey Reisen made a nice run down the right wing with just under 10 minutes left but couldn't connect on her cross to a charging Maddie Glascock, the Storm's last quality opportunity.
NOTES & NUMBERS
• Grand View extended its winning streak in the series to eight games.
• Simpson took six shots in the opening frame but couldn't generate enough quality chances in the second half, getting outshot 7-2.
• Wednesday marked the first game on the widened playing surface at Buxton Stadium. The sidelines were extended approximately four feet on either side during the offseason.
Simpson travels to Wis.-Platteville on Sunday Sept. 10. The Pioneers (0-2) lost to Knox 2-0 on Wednesday and go to Beloit on Saturday. Start time is set for 2 p.m.