INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson women's basketball team looks to keep its winning streak intact and break a current losing streak to No. 8/7 Wartburg on Wednesday. The American Rivers Conference battle is set for a 5:30 p.m. tip inside Cowles Fieldhouse.
The Storm (13-3, 5-2 A-R-C) increased their winning streak to nine games after a 90-66 victory at Luther on Sunday. The Knights (14-2, 6-1 A-R-C) are currently tied for first in the A-R-C and won 68-50 at Coe on Saturday to remain at the top of the standings.
The game will be video streamed live on SimpsonAthletics.com as Bryan Geelan has the call as pregame begins at 5:20 p.m. Fans can also access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
LISTEN TO THE STORM
The team of Andrew Swadner and Rick Wilson will have the call on 94.3 FM and 1320 AM or online at kniakrls.com. Fans can also download the KNIA app, available on iTunes and Google Play. Pregame coverage begins at 5:15 p.m.
WARTBURG SERIES NOTES
The Storm and Knights renew their rivalry as Wartburg is in the midst of a nine-game winning streak over Simpson and are winners of the last 10 of 11 contests in the series ... over the last seven games against the Storm, the Knights have won by at least 14 points and claimed both meetings by 14.5 points last season ... Simpson dropped an 88-73 decision at home last year to Wartburg to snap a six-game winning streak during the season.
Jan. 31, 2019 — L, 88-73 (Indianola)
Nov. 28, 2018 — L, 83-69 (Waverly)
Feb. 3, 2018 — L, 88-68 (Waverly)
Jan. 13, 2018 — L, 81-66 (Indianola)
Jan. 28, 2017 — L, 80-62 (Waverly)
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
Wartburg and 14th-year head coach Bob Amsberry come into the contest ranked No. 7 in the D3hoops.com Top-25 Poll and No. 8 in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association Top-25 Coaches Poll ... since losing at Loras on Jan. 11, the Knights have two-straight double-point victories over conference foes ... the offense is currently third in the league in scoring at 81.8 and first in shooting percentage at 49.0% ... the defense has held offenses at bay all year by allowing 60.1 points per outing for second among A-R-C schools ... Emma Gerdes is leading the way with 11.0 ppg and followed closely by Payton Draper with 10.8.
LAST TIME OUT
After the weather pushed the game at Luther to Sunday, Claire Johnson erupted for a career-high 28 points to lead Simpson to a 90-66 victory over the Norse ... the Storm owned a 15-5 advantage during the first quarter and lengthed the gap with a 13-1 spurt in the second stanza ... as the game sat at 67-44 at the end of the third, Luther issued a 16-4 run to bring the game to 11 points, but the defense held firm and only allowed the Norse to score six points over the last five minutes of the game to secure the road win.
• Simpson in the national rankings:
2nd — 3-point shooting (41.1%), field goal percentage (49.0%)
3rd — scoring offense (84.3 ppg)
4th — total points (1,349)
7th — 3-pointers made (152)
9th — assists (283)
11th — assists per game (17.7)
12th — 3-pointers made per game (9.5)
18th — scoring margin (19.4)
19th — steals (206)
• Storm in the national rankings:
Kia Rasmussen — second in 3-point percentage (53.7%)
Cassie Chubb — ninth in 3-point percentage (47.5%), 13th in 3-pointers made (47), 18th in 3-pointers made per game (2.94)
Claire Johnson — 15th in assists (84), 20th in assists per game (5.3)
Cameron Kincaid — sixth in free throw percentage (91.3%)
• Simpson is second in the conference in scoring at 84.3 ppg and fourth in scoring defense by allowing 64.9 ppg.
• All five starters are averaging double figures in scoring with Cassie Chubb at the top with 13.7 ppg. Cameron Kincaid is second at 12.1, followed by Cassie Nash (11.4), and Claire Johnson and Kia Rasmussen each are at 11.3.
• Johnson's career high came on 10 of 14 shooting with three triples to notch her third 20-plus point performance in her career and second this season.
• The Storm extended their winning streak to nine games to match the 2014-15 squad's streak. The 2014-15 team achieved its winning streak against nonconference opponents, while this year's team has four wins against league foes in the streak.
• Head coach Brian Niemuth earned his 600th career victory on Dec. 21 in a 76-69 victory over Millikin. Niemuth became the ninth active women's basketball head coach in the NCAA Division III to hit the 600-win plateau.
Simpson travels to Dubuque on Saturday for a 2 p.m. contest.