INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson Storm women's basketball team opens American Rivers Conference play on the road against the defending conference champion Wartburg Knights on Wednesday, Nov. 28. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. in Waverly.
Simpson and Wartburg are meeting for the 87th time in a series that dates back to the 1976-77 season … Simpson leads the series 52-34, but Wartburg has had the upper hand as of late … the Knights have won seven in a row, including sweeping the 2017-18 season series … Wartburg won 81-66 on Jan. 13 in Indianola and 88-68 on Feb. 3 in Waverly.
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
The defending conference champions and 12th-year head coach Bob Amsberry are ranked 18th in the most recent D3hoops.com Poll and 19th in the WBCA Poll … Wartburg is coming off a 76-56 win over Beloit on Saturday, the team's second in a row … the lone loss for the Knights was a 68-52 setback to No. 10 Illinois Wesleyan on Nov. 16 … the Knights are led by Adrienne Boettger (12.3 ppg) and Simpson transfer Tori Hazard (11.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.5 apg).
• Simpson improved to 3-0 with an 84-80 overtime win over Saint Benedict on Saturday, Nov. 17 at the Quinlivan & Hughes Tip-Off Tournament. Tournament MVP Jenna Taylor led the Storm with 32 points as the Storm set a school record with 16 3-pointers.
• The Storm are off to their best three-game start since 2012-13, when the eventual conference champions went 9-0 to begin the season.
• Simpson enters Wednesday's game ranked in the top 10 in Division III in 3-pointers per game (4th, 11), 3-point percentage (9th, 43.4) and scoring (10th, 85.3).
• Junior forward Jenna Taylor has two American Rivers Conference Player of the Week honors to her credit already this season. She most recently earned the award for the period ending Nov. 19, when she averaged 25 points and 10.5 rebounds in Simpson's two wins at the Quinlivan & Hughes Tip-Off Tournament.
• Taylor leads the American Rivers in scoring (23.7), rebounding (10.3) and 3-point percentage (61.5). She ranks 11th nationally in scoring and eighth in 3-point percentage.
Simpson travels to Luther on Saturday, Dec. 1. Tipoff in Decorah is set for 2 p.m.