WAVERLY, Iowa -- Emily Bell got out of a jam in the bottom of the seventh inning and the Simpson softball team held on to beat Wartburg 5-4 in game one of Thursday's Iowa Conference double header, coming away with a split after losing in the nightcap 2-1.
Annie Stolte had a team-high four hits on the day for the Storm (17-7, 3-1), who suffered their first conference loss of the season in game two. Kailee O'Brien went 5-for-7 at the plate to lead the Knights (11-9, 1-3).
Simpson 5, Wartburg 4
How it Happened
• Camille Colen's two-RBI single brought in the third and fourth runs of the seventh inning as Wartburg pulled within 5-4 after trailing 5-0 to start the at-bat. But Emily Bell got Madison Rentschler to ground out to Taylor Davis at third, ending the rally with the potential winning run at second.
• The Storm got on the board with two runs in the first thanks to an RBI single by Madison Rasmusson and a wild pitch by Colen that allowed Rasmusson to score.
• Simpson added to the lead with two runs in the fifth and one in the sixth. Ashley Allen laced an RBI double and Stolte scored on a sacrifice fly by Davis in the fifth. Sara Trent delivered a pinch-hit, RBI double down the left field line in the sixth to give Simpson a comfortable 5-0 advantage.
• Bell allowed just four hits through the first five innings before Wartburg got to her in the sixth. The Knights loaded the bases with one out before Bell worked out of trouble by coaxing a pair of ground outs to end the threat.
Emily Bell — W (9-2), 7.0 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 Ks
Wartburg 2, Simpson 1
How it Happened
• Trailing 2-0 with two outs in the seventh, Allen drove in Stolte on a double to center, trimming the lead in half. But Davis grounded out with pinch-runner Georgia Porter at third to end the comeback.
• The second out of the Simpson seventh came when Rasmusson doubled to right but was thrown out trying to advance to third.
• Simpson managed just four hits in the first six innings against Wartburg starter Madelyn Rog, who struck out four and walked three.
• Wartburg scored in the second on a solo homer by Mara Forsyth. The lead increased to 2-0 when Erica Countryman singled in a run in the bottom of the third. Mary Leopold was lifted for Kelli Hanson one-batter later.
Simpson travels to Pella for a doubleheader against Central on Saturday, April 7. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.