KISSIMMEE, Fla. — The Simpson softball team begins the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. on Saturday, March 4. The Storm will play 14 games during the week.
The Storm (1-3) will face seven teams that finished in the top two in their respective conferences in 2016.
Fans can listen to all 14 games at the Rebel Spring Games live at SimpsonAthletics.com. Veteran broadcaster Todd Guessford will have the call.
STORM QUICK HITS
• Simpson opened the season 1-3 at the Rochester Dome Tournament last weekend. The Storm faced a challenging schedule, playing a pair of top-15 teams in St. Thomas and St. Catherine.
• Simpson will have an opportunity to hit its first home run of the season on the trip to Florida. Because the outfield dimensions didn't meet NCAA minimum requirements at the Rochester Dome, all balls hit over the fence were ruled ground-rule doubles.
• Brianna Chaplin led the Storm at the plate, hitting .357 with a four doubles and three RBIs in four games. The junior is the Storm's lone returning all-conference performer from 2016.
• After stealing just 20 total bases last season, the Storm showed increased aggresiveness on the basepaths on the first weekend of the season. Simpson stole six bases in just four games last weekend, led by a perfect 4-for-4 effort from center fielder Kaleigh Snyder.
• Sophomore transfer Madison Rasmusson logged a team-high 11.2 innings in the circle last weekend.
• Pitching collegiately for the first time, Arianna Kim tossed a complete game in the Storm's 3-2 win over St. Scholastica. Kim started 30 of 33 games in left field for the Storm a year ago and will do double-duty in 2017.