PELLA, Iowa -- The Simpson men's track and field team crowned eight event champions -- three from Dylan Kalinay -- and posted six NCAA top-25 efforts on Thursday, April 5 at the Central Weather Saver Invitational.
The Storm placed second in the team standings with 161.5 points, behind host Central (177).
• Reigning IIAC Track Athlete of the Week Dylan Kalinay had another outstanding effort, winning the 200-meter dash, 110-meter hurdles and leading off the winning 4x100-meter relay team. Kalinay posted the No. 8 time in Division III in the 110 hurdles (14.64) and the No. 23 time and a personal-best in the 200 (21.95).
• The winning 4x100-meter relay team of Kalinay, Chase Wetterling, Travis Tupper and Kirk Wicks ran 42.02, currently ninth in Division III and fourth in school history. Simpson now has two 4x100 relay teams in the top 15 nationally, as the team of Kalinay, Wetterling, Tupper and Troy Vittetoe ran 42.14 at the Loras Midweek on March 28, currently 15th-best in Division III.
• An All-American in the 400 hurdles a year ago, Jordan Coughenour made a splash early this outdoor season by running 53.74, currently No. 7 in Division III. He finished seventh in the event nationally in 2017.
• Wetterling, Tupper, Wicks and Coughenour posted the No. 14 time nationally in the 4x400-meter relay, finishing in 3:19.90.
• Sophomore high jumper Isaiah Strong posted a collegiate-best clearance to tie for first, clearing 6-feet, 6 3/4 inches. The effort is tied for 14th in the country.
"It was a good overall effort. We are definitely further along than at this time last year. We came out of this meet feeling really good." — head coach Dave Cleveland
200 meters — Dylan Kalinay, 21.95 | #23 NCAA
110 hurdles — Dylan Kalinay, 14.64 | #8 NCAA
400 hurdles — Jordan Coughenour, 53.74 | #7 NCAA
4x100 relay — Dylan Kalinay, Chase Wetterling, Travis Tupper, Kirk Wicks, 42.02 | #9 NCAA | #4 SC
4x400 relay — Chase Wetterling, Travis Tupper, Kirk Wicks, Jordan Coughenour, 3:19.90 | #14 NCAA
High Jump — Isaiah Strong, 6-06.75 | PR | #14 NCAA
Long Jump — Austin Greenwalt, 20-02.25
Javelin Throw — Josh Dietrich, 168-01
Top three finishers per event
13. Brian Rew, 12.28
2. Kirk Wicks, 50.98
7. Drew Roen, 16:42.40
1. Chase Wetterling, Travis Tupper, Kirk Wicks, Jordan Coughenour, 3:19.90 | #14 NCAA
5. Sam Adeniyi, Austin Greenwalt, Tyler Combs, Kellen Fitch, 3:31.30
8. Bryce Exline, Nick Kibby, Elliott Meyer, Jordan Baldwin, 3:44.02
7. Sam Adeniyi, 10-00.00
Simpson goes to the Jim Duncan Invitational at Drake's Blue Oval on Friday and Saturday, April 13-14 in Des Moines.