MT. VERNON, Iowa – Dylan Kalinay entered three events and won them all as the Simpson men's track and field team won four events as a team to place second of 14 teams at the Cornell Invitational held Saturday, April 9.
Kalinay won the 200-meter dash, the 110-meter hurdles and ran the second leg of the winning 4x100-meter relay team as Simpson scored 146.5 points, trailing only Iowa Central CC (152). Emmitt Wheatley took home the Storm's other first-place finish, winning the 100 meters.
- Kalinay won the 200 (22.40) and the 110 hurdles (15.26), posting the No. 2 time in the IIAC in the 200.
- Wheatley helped the Storm to a 1-2-3 finish in the 100 meters. He finished in 11.38 seconds, followed by Travis Tupper (11.47) and Davey Jergens (11.49). The trio makes up four Simpson sprinters in the top 10 in the IIAC.
- Jergens, Kalinay, Tupper and Wheatley won the 4x100 (42.44), currently the top time in the IIAC.
- Kirk Wicks, Chase Wetterling, Jordan Coughenour and Prince Krah took second in the 4x100 (43.83) as Simpson went 1-2 in the sprint relay.
- Coughenour (57.34) and Trevor McKee (57.90) went 2-3 in the 400 hurdles.
- Trey Moddelmogg finished second in the triple jump (40-6 3/4).
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Matt Pearson, Krah, Wicks and Wetterling took second (3:23.76).
- Isaac Frazier had a busy day highlighted by a second-place finish in the 110 hurdles (15.73). He added third-place finishes in the high jump (6-2 3/4) and the long jump (20-2 1/4). He also placed fifth in the javelin throw (137).
- Mitch Stoltzman placed third in the pole vault (12-11 1/2).
- Wetterling placed fourth in the 400 (50.66).
- Ian McKenzie placed fifth in the 1500 (4:10.65)
Simpson goes to the Blue Oval this weekend for the annual Jim Duncan Invitational hosted by Drake. The Storm have several athletes competing April 15-16 in the Drake Relays warmup.
For meet information and up-to-date heat sheets, visit GoDrakeBulldogs.com