DUBUQUE, Iowa – John Cord took home his second conference title in the javelin throw, highlighting Simpson's first day at the Iowa Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships from Manatt Track at Rock Bowl Stadium.
Both teams are in sixth place through seven events scored. The women have seven points and are tied with Coe while the men have 19 points, ahead of Buena Vista (17) and behind Luther (24).
- Cord's winning toss of 183 feet came in his third attempt, besting Michael Meersman of Loras (182-00). Cord also won the javelin throw in 2011 and now has four conference championships to his credit, winning the triple jump in 2010 and the indoor long jump this season.
- Cord added a pair of sixth-place efforts – the high jump (6-feet, 3 ¼ inches) and long jump (21-11), accounting for 16 of Simpson's 19 points.
- The 4x800-meter relay team of Mark Lahart, Leif Jeppson, Miles Kirts and Anthony Burton placed sixth (7:57.33).
- Brice Sheeder ran the second-fastest qualifying time in the 400-meter dash, winning the fourth heat in a time of 49.50.
- Running in a meet for the first time since March, Aaron Arment qualified for the finals in the 100 meters. His time of 11.12 is the seventh-fastest qualifying time.
- Bayley Fleshner took sixth in the long jump, hitting the sand in 16-8 3/4.
- Fleshner and Jordan Maher both qualified for finals in the 100 hurdles. Fleshner's 15.00 is the fourth-fastest and Maher's 15.33 is seventh.
- Sammy Nelson ran a 1:06.31 in the 400 hurdles, the No. 4 time going into the finals.
- April Sigmund ran a career-best time of 58.83 in the 400-meter dash, the fifth-fastest in the field.
- Sarah Ney ended up as the eighth and final qualifier in the 200 meters, running a 26.15.
The Iowa Conference Championships conclude Saturday with field events beginning at 10 a.m. and running events starting up at 1 p.m.