INDIANOLA, Iowa – The Simpson track and field team enjoyed competing at the home confines of Buxton Stadium for the eighth annual Kip Janvrin Open, held Thursday-Friday, April 25-26.
The meet – which featured 811 participants from 42 college and universities around the country – began Thursday afternoon with the discus and hammer throws and concluded on Friday. Aside from some healthy wind gusts out of the South, athletes and fans alike enjoyed a great day for track and field.
Simpson Men's Highlights
- Joe Farrand posted Simpson's top finish of the day, taking second in the 1500-meter run. Finishing in 3:56.28, Farrand was the top Division III finisher, coming in behind Iowa State's Chris Alvarez (3:55.64). The time is currently second in the Iowa Conference.
- Multi-event athlete John Cord had his best performance of the day in the javelin throw, placing fourth with a toss of 49.94 meters.
- Brice Sheeder broke 51 in the 400-meter run for the first time in his collegiate career, finishing in 50.28 to place 7th.
- Mitch Davis set a huge career best with a 15:05.96 in the 5,000 meters to place 10th. His previous best was 15:36.20 set during the 2012 outdoor season.
Simpson Women's Highlights
- Jamie Elbert turned in Simpson's top finish, taking sixth in the 800 meters in a season-best time of 2:20.53.
- Bayley Fleshner matched her season-best time in the 100-meter hurdles, crossing in 14.97 to place seventh.
- Sarah Ney and Lauren Martin finished seventh and eighth, respectively, in the 200 meters. Both posted career-best times as Ney finished in 26.21 and Martin came in at 26.39.
Simpson at the Drake Relays
Simpson competed in two events at the Drake Relays on Friday: the women's 4x100-meter relay and the women's 4x400-meter relay. The 4x100 team of Fleshner, Martin, Ney andJordan Maher placed 25th of 27 teams (49.90). The 4x400 team of April Sigmund, Martin, Fleshner and Sammy Nelson placed 27th of 29 teams (4:07.35).
10 Records Broken at #KJO13
- The 2013 Kip Janvrin Open saw 10 records fall, a bulk of which came in the field events.
- The women of Nebraska-Omaha broke three records alone, setting new marks in the high jump, long jump, and 4x100-meter relay.
- Competing unattached, Chase Madison re-set his own record in the discus throw, tossing 59.94 meters to break the record he set last year.
- Two of the meet's oldest records fell, as the Briar Cliff 4x100-meter relay and South Dakota 5,000-meter runner Amber Eichkorn broke records that stood since 2008.
|Records set at 2013 Kip Janvrin Open|
|Women's HJ||1.72m||Kathie-Lee Laidley, UNO|
|Women's LJ||6.07m||Sami Spenner, UNO|
|Women's TJ||12.66m||Kenna Wolter, unattached|
|Men's TJ||14.92m||Demorrio Leggett, Iowa Central|
|Men's Discus||59.94m||Chase Madison, unattached|
|Men's 4x1||42.46||Briar Cliff|
|Women's 1500||4:29.69||Samantha Bluske, Iowa State|
|Men's 110mH||14.17||Luke Hauert, Northern State|
|Women's 5,000||17:29.19||Amber Eichkorn, USD