DES MOINES, Iowa – The Simpson men's and women's track and field teams competed in the 37th Annual Jim Duncan Invitational at historic Drake Stadium over the weekend.
No team scores were kept at the meet, which included a varied field with colleges and universities from all over the Midwest as well as high schools from the Central Iowa Metropolitan League.
- Jake Sutton provided Simpson with its top finish of the weekend, taking third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. His time of 9:47.41 is currently ranked fourth in the Iowa Conference.
- Running in his first 1500-meter competition of the season, Joe Farrand placed ninth in a competitive field, crossing the finish in 4:02.70.
- Multi-event athlete John Cord had another busy day, placing in the top 11 in three events. He took fourth in the javelin (53.10m), seventh in the long jump (6.45m) and 11th in the high jump (1.85m).
- Leif Jeppson ran a lifetime best in the 800 meters, placing 19th in 1:57.95. His previous best was 1:58.86.
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Brice Sheeder, Cord, Jeppson and Anthony Burton ran 3:23.97 to place seventh. The time is currently No. 4 in the Iowa Conference.
- The 4x400-meter relay team of April Sigmund, Lauren Martin, Bayley Fleshner and Jamie Elbert ran a 4:05.63 to place eighth. The time – which ranks No. 3 in the Iowa Conference – is the best of the season for Simpson, indoor or outdoor and was highlighted by a sub-60 second leg by Martin.
- The 4x100-meter relay team of Fleshner, Martin, Sarah Ney and Jordan Maher ran a 49.81 to finish sixth. The time stands as the fourth-best in the Iowa Conference.
- Fleshner gave Simpson its top individual finish, taking 10th in the 100-meter hurdles. Her time of 15.07 seconds is currently fourth in the conference, trailing three runners from national-powerhouse Wartburg.
- Lindsey Borgomainerio came away with a big personal record in the 1500-meter run, finishing in 5:03.26 to place 20th. Her previous best was 5:14.77.
- Ney ran a career-best time in the 200 meters, finishing in 26.86 seconds to place 21st.
Big Week Ahead
- Wednesday-Thursday, April 17-18 – John Cord will take part in the multi-event competition at the Kansas Relays in Lawrence, Kan.
- Friday, April 19 – Joe Farrand will run in the 5,000 meters at the annual Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calfi.
- Saturday, April 20 – The entire squad will compete in the Central Invitational in Pella.