DECORAH, Iowa -- The Simpson men's tennis team ended its season on Saturday in a 9-0 loss at the 15th-ranked team in the region, Luther, in Decorah, Iowa.
Brett Dewerff captured the most games for the Storm (7-13, 1-7 A-R-C) against the Norse (14-6, 6-1 A-R-C). Dewerff was able to win two in the first set and three in the second to fall 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3 singles. Karson Richardson suffered a 6-2, 6-2 defeat at No. 6 singles.
Zach Nelson closed out his Simpson career with a tough match and fell at No. 1 singles. Nelson ends with 28 career victories to tie for fourth place all-time in program history. He need just one more victory to take sole possession of third.
Luther handled the Simpson doubles teams and only lost six games in the three matches combined. Dewerff and Richardson had the best showing at No. 3 doubles with an 8-3 loss.
Luther 9, Simpson 0
1. Jake Smith (LUT) def. Zach Nelson, 6-0, 6-1
2. Ryan Ortega (LUT) def. Reade Reiter, 6-0, 6-2
3. Charlie Weill (LUT) def. Brett Dewerff, 6-2, 6-3
4. Sakchham Karki (LUT) def. Matt Turnley, 6-0, 6-2
5. Cam Long (LUT) def. Peter Walkwitz, 6-0, 6-0
6. Kaelan Wilson (LUT) def. Karson Richardson, 6-2, 6-2
1. Sakchham Karki/Ryan Ortega (LUT) def. Zach Nelson/Reade Reiter, 8-1
2. Cam Long/Jake Smith (LUT) def. Matt Turnley/Peter Walkwitz, 8-2
3. Nathan Abbott/Charlie Weill (LUT) def. Brett Dewerff/Karson Richardson, 8-3