RIPON, Wis. -- The Simpson men's tennis team split its trip to Wisconsin by blanking host Ripon 9-0 before dropping a 5-4 decision to Northwestern on Saturday.
The Storm (5-3) cruised against the host Red Hawks before falling to Northwestern. Simson was able to take the final three singles matches against the Eagles, but Northwestern took 2 of 3 in doubles play to get the win.
With the win over Ripon, Simpson already matched last season's win total.
Adam Wieser and Matt Turnley each went 2-0 in singles competition to lead the Storm. At the No. 4 spot, Wieser beat Ripon's Adrian Granados 6-2, 6-3 and Northwestern's Cameron Fair 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8). At No. 5, Turnley blanked Ripon's Daniel garcia 6-0, 6-0 and came back to edge Northwestern's Spencer Deveau 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8).
Turnley and Brett Dewerff -- who won his only match of the day at the No. 6 spot against Northwestern -- remain unbeaten on the season. Turnley is 5-0 and Dewerff is 6-0.
The No. 1 singles team of Sam Dykstra and Zach Nelson won both of their matches to improve to 5-3 on the season. The duo beat Ripon's Chris Mooney and Junmo Kwon 8-4 and topped Northwestern's CJ Lloyd and Spencer Deveau by the same score.
Simpson closes the month of February next Saturday, Feb. 24 when it takes on Wisconsin Lutheran and Principia in Elsah, Ill.
Simpson 9, Ripon 0
1. Sam Dykstra (SIM) def. Junmo Kwon (RIP) 6-1, 6-3
2. Zach Nelson (SIM) def. Marcus Austin (RIP) 6-1, 6-0
3. AJ Jackson (SIM) def. Emilio Tijerno (RIP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Adam Wieser (SIM) def. Adrian Granados (RIP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Turnley (SIM) def. Daniel Garcia (RIP) 6-0, 6-0
6. Karson Richardson (SIM) def. Eugene Pliska (RIP) 6-3, 6-4
1. Sam Dykstra/Zach Nelson (SIM) def. Marcus Austin/Adrian Granados (RIP) 8-3
2 Matt Turnley/Brett Dewerff (SIM) def. Emilio Tigerno/Daniel Garcia (RIP) 8-0
3. Aaron Smith/Reade Reiter (SIM) def. Chris Mooney/Junmo Kwon (RIP) 8-4
Northwestern 5, Simpson 4
1. CJ Lloyd (UNWM) def. Sam Dykstra (SIMM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Landon Ridpath (UNWM) def. Zach Nelson (SIMM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Joshua Kimball (UNWM) def. AJ Jackson (SIMM) 7-6, 6-2
4. Adam Wieser (SIMM) def. Cameron Fair (UNWM) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Matt Turnley (SIMM) def. Spencer Deveau (UNWM) 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Brett Dewerff (SIMM) def. Colton Paskewitz (UNWM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sam Dykstra/Zach Nelson (SIMM) def. CJ Lloyd/Spencer Deveau (UNWM) 8-4
2. Landon Ridpath/Joshua Kimball (UNWM) def. AJ Jackson/Adam Wieser (SIMM) 8-0
3. Cameron Fair/Davis Pfaff (UNWM) def. Matt Turnley/Brett Dewerff (SIMM) 8-1