STORM LAKE, Iowa — Nick Joslyn scored his first goal of the season and added an assist as the Simpson men's soccer team shut out Buena Vista 2-0 on Saturday afternoon.
The Storm (12-0-1, 4-0 Iowa Conference) outshot Buena Vista 22-7 to post their fourth shutout of the season.
The Beaver's defense came out strong, turning away five of Simpson's twelve shot attempts before Tanner Alderson was able to find the back of the net to give the Storm a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute. Joslyn was credited with the assist as both teams remained scoreless for the remainder of the period.
Joslyn added an insurance tally in the 80th minute for his first goal of the season to seal the win. Potratz — the reigning IIAC Defensive Player of the Week — finished with a clean sheet for the Storm, recording two saves to lower his goals against average to 0.76.
Manuel Garcia Aguillar made eight saves in goal for the Beavers (3-9-1, 0-3).
"Any win during the conference slate is a big win. We don't have much time to enjoy this one, though. We're back to work tomorrow against a formidable MIAC opponent in Concordia-Moorhead." — head coach Rick Isaacson
Notes and Numbers
• Simpson is one of just nine remaining undefeated teams in Division III (of 417 schools that sponsor men's soccer).
• Simpson sits alone at the top of the Iowa Conference standings with a 4-0 record while Luther (2-0) is the only other undefeated team in conference play. The two teams meet on Tuesday evening at Buxton Stadium.
• Alderson (13) and Pochop (12) lead the team in goals and have combined to score 71% of Simpson's goals this year. Going into the weekend, Simpson was the only team in Division III to have two players ranked in the top 10 in goals scored when the duo had 12 apiece.
• Alderson scored his sixth game-winner of the season Saturday, placing him among the top-three in Division III.
• The Storm lead the conference in goals (35), shots (241), points (95) and have the highest save percentage (.840).
• Simpson is undefeated in its last 11 regular season road games, outscoring opponents 32-9 during the stretch.
• Jake Potratz now owns a 0.76 goals against average in twelve games. That puts him second on Simpson's single-season list, ahead of Luke Aronow (0.88 in 2013) and behind record holder Rob Swanson (0.63 in 1997).
The Storm return home for their final non-conference match-up of the season against Concordia M'head. The Cobbers (3-6-1, 1-3-1) had the week off after winning a 1-0 decision against Carleton last Saturday. Start time is set for 12 p.m at Buxton Stadium.