INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The fourth-seeded Simpson men's basketball team hosts the fifth-seeded Wartburg Knights in the first round of the Iowa Conference Tournament on Tuesday, Feb. 20 at Cowles Fieldhouse. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
The game will be video streamed on SimpsonAthletics.com. Todd Guessford will have the call with pregame getting underway at 6:45 p.m.
The Storm (13-11, 9-7) and the Knights (16-9, 9-7) finished with identical conference records, but Simpson was awarded the No. 4 seed thanks to its 102-97 overtime win over top-seeded Nebraska Wesleyan on Jan. 27. The teams split their regular season meetings, with Simpson winning 86-81 on Jan. 13 in Indianola and Wartburg winning 85-77 on Feb. 3 in Waverly.
The winner of Tuesday's game advances to play top-seeded Nebraska Wesleyan on Thursday, Feb. 22 in Lincoln. Sixth-seeded Central visits third-seeded Buena Vista in the other first round matchup. The winner of that game will play second-seeded Loras. For more, visit the IIAC Tournament Homepage.
SIMPSON IN THE IIAC TOURNAMENT
- Simpson is making its 15th appearance in the IIAC Tournament, qualifying for the third-straight season after missing out in 2014 and 2015.
- Simpson is 7-14 all-time in the tournament and 0-2 against Wartburg. Simpson is looking for its first win in the conference tournament since 2012.
- Simpson and third-year head coach Brad Bjorkgren finished with a winning record for the third-straight season, a first for the program since 2001-04.
- The Storm go into Tuesday's game on a three-game home winning streak. The Storm are 7-2 at Cowles Fieldhouse this season.
- Simpson is fourth in the league in scoring (82.8) and seventh in points allowed (81.5).
- Simpson turns the ball over just 10.3 time per game, fifth-fewest in Division III.
- Sam Amsbaugh's 33-point outburst against Coe gives him 478 points on the season. He needs just 22 to become Simpson's first 500-point scorer since David Otte set the single-season record with 797 in 1994-95.
- Amsbaugh also has a team-hight 95 assists this season. He is the only player in school history with 95-plus assists and 415-plus points in a season.
- Point guard Conor Riordan leads the IIAC with a 2.96 assist-to-turnover ratio. His 19.5 ppg rank fourth in the league, one spot behind Amsbaugh.
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
- Wartburg and 21st-year head coach Dick Peth finished the regular season 16-9 and enter the tournament as the No. 5 seed.
- Last season, the Knights became the first No. 6 seed to win the conference tournament when they won three-straight road games to take the title and eventually advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.
- Wartburg finished the season strong, winning 4 of 5. The Knights came back from 20 points down to beat Central 93-92 on Saturday.
- Wartburg is seventh in the league in scoring (76.3) and first in points allowed (74.1).
- Jaran Sabus leads the team in scoring (15.8 ppg) and rebounding (5.8 ppg).
- Simpson and Wartburg are meeting for the 139th time in a series that dates back to the 1945-46 season
- Wartburg leads the all-time series 92-46 and is 2-0 against Simpson in the IIAC Tournament
- Wartburg beat Simpson 85-72 in the 2004 semifinals and 73-70 (ot) in the 2005 quarterfinals.