The Simpson men's basketball team looks to snap a three-game losing streak Saturday, Jan. 14 when it hosts the Coe Kohawks at Cowles Fieldhouse. The game will air on KNIA 1320 AM/95.3 FM and online at KNIAKRLS.com. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.
As Saturday marks the final home weekend of the season, Simpson will honor its senior basketball players. DJ Dafney, Cody Good, Cort Singleton, Ryan Skaar, Brook Thompson and Austin Turner will be recognized between games.
Coe (9-4, 3-2 IIAC) won its second game in a row with an impressive 85-73 win over Nebraska Wesleyan at home Wednesday. Simpson (9-5, 2-3) suffered its third loss in a row, falling to 80-65 at Dubuque. The Kohawks enter the game in a tie for third in the league standings while the Storm are tied for seventh.
ON THE AIR
From here until the end of the season, all of the Storm's Saturday games can be heard on KNIA 1320 AM/95.3 FM and online at KNIAKRLS.com. You can also download the KNIA app on iTunes and Google's Play Store. Andrew Swadner will have the call with Rick Wilson providing the color commentary.
Simpson—Brad Bjorkgren, 24-15 at Simpson (second season)
Coe—Bryan Martin, 61-54 at Coe (fifth season)
• Simpson and Coe meet for the 86th time in a series that dates back to the 1911-12 season.
• Simpson is 38-47 against Coe all-time and 13-14 at home.
• Simpson has lost 7 of 8 and 11 of the last 13 in the series, snapping a six-game losing streak with last season's win in Cedar Rapids.
• Each team won on the other's home floor last season … Simpson won 69-63 in Cedar Rapids on Jan. 9 and Coe won 87-66 in Indianola on Feb. 13.
• Coe owns the No. 1 defense in the Iowa Conference, allowing just 70.1 ppg overall and 67.0 ppg in conference play … IIAC teams are shooting just 41.9 percent against Coe, also tops in the league.
• Coe's well-rounded offense has had six different players lead the team in scoring this season.
• Matt Vonderhaar and Marshall Shedeck own almost identical stat-lines to lead Coe … Vonderhaar averages 12.7 ppg, 7.4 rpg, shoots 41.8 percent from the field and has made 24 3-pointers … Shedeck also averages 12.7 ppg, adding 7.9 rpg, 47.5 percent shooting from the field and 23 3-pointers.
• Trevor Haaland leads the IIAC with a 2.4 assist-to-turnover ratio and is second with 66 total assists.
• Head coach Bryan Martin graduated from Simpson in 1999, helping the Storm to their last Iowa Conference Championship in 1998 … Martin is 7-1 against his former team since taking over at Coe in 2012-13.
• Coe set a school-record with 39 made free throws in Wednesday's win over Nebraska Wesleyan, going 39-for-51.
• Simpson owns one of the top defenses in the league, holding opponents to an IIAC-low 40.6 percent shooting from the field … Simpson's 71.3 ppg allowed are second in the league to Coe.
• Simpson is 11-6 at Cowles Fieldhouse under second-year head coach Brad Bjorkgren … the Storm went just 9-22 the previous three seasons combined.
• Junior forward Sam Amsbaugh is on pace to reach 1,000 career points this season, entering Wednesday's game with 813 … he would become the 20th player in school history and first since Charles Swain in 2014-15 to reach the career milestone … he is third in the IIAC in scoring (21.3 ppg) and sixth in rebounding (7.9 rpg).
• Amsbaugh has reached double figures in the scoring column in 16 straight games dating back to last season … he scored a career-high 40 against Saint Mary's on Nov. 28 and his lowest output this season was 13 against Waldorf on Nov. 21 … the Storm are 5-1 this season when Amsbaugh scores 20-or-more points, the lone loss coming in a 38-point effort against Grinnell.
• Senior point guard Austin Turner ranks among Simpson's career leaders in assists (221, 8th all-time) and steals (94, 14th all-time) … his 2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio is third in the IIAC.
• Senior shooting guard Ryan Skaar has moved into sole possession of fifth place on the Storm's career 3-point shooting list with 128 … he ranks ninth in 3-point percentage (37.2).
• Despite standing just 6-foot-2, DJ Dafney has developed into Simpson's top rebounder, averaging 8.5 per game (3rd in the IIAC) … he has increased his total to 10.2 rebounds per game in conference play … Dafney has five games with 10-plus rebounds this season.
• The Storm are a perfect 6-0 this season when making at least 10 3-pointers.