CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- For the second time this season, Brendan Holmes has been named the American Rivers Conference Defensive Player of the Week for Simpson football, the league announced Monday.
Holmes moved into first place in program history in career tackles after his 16-tackle performance against Central on Saturday. Holmes needed just five takedowns to move past Jarod Young's record of 339 that was set between 1993-96. The senior is currently third in the conference with 74 tackles this season.
The Storm (4-4, 3-3 A-R-C) travel to Loras (4-4, 3-3 A-R-C) on Saturday for a 1 p.m. game in Dubuque, Iowa.
Holmes becomes the eighth Storm student-athlete to receive an award from the conference office this fall and is the first to repeat for Simpson.
Brendan Holmes | Defensive Player of the Week
• Senior from Atlantic, Iowa
• Tallied 16 tackles in the team's loss against Central on Saturday, second most of his career
• Moved into first place in program history in career tackles after passing Jarod Young's record of 339
• Third in the conference with 74 tackles this season
• Second game this season with double-digit tackles and 17th of his career