CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Freshman punter Mason Ackerson was named American Rivers Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in the win over Dubuque on Saturday, the league office announced Monday.
The freshman from Gowrie, Iowa averaged nearly 42 yards on five punts in the Storm's 21-14 win at Dubuque on Saturday. Simpson improved to 2-1 on the season while beating the Spartans for the first time in six tries.
The Storm return home for a 1 p.m. contest this Saturday as Buena Vista comes to town. The Beavers are currently 2-1 and 0-1 in conference competition.
Mason Ackerson | Special Teams Player of the Week
• Freshman from Gowrie, Iowa
• Tallied 209 yards on five attempts and placed one inside the 20-yard line
• Had a boot of 62 yards to place the Spartans on their own 23-yard line with less than two minutes to play in the game
• Punted in his second career game on Saturday
• Has a total of 317 yards in eight tries for a conference-leading average 39.6 yards per punt