CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Simpson wide receiver Sam Bartlett and safety Brendan Holmes were both recognized as American Rivers Conference Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week, the league announced Monday.
The seniors helped lead the Storm to a 27-23 win over Chicago on Saturday, Sept. 14 inside Buxton Stadium.
Simpson (1-1) travels to Dubuque on Saturday for a 6 p.m. showdown.
Bartlett and Holmes are joined by two other Simpson student-athletes that were honored by the conference this week, Abby Cozzoni (women's soccer) and Jake Potratz (men's soccer). The Storm now have five student-athletes that have been selected as A-R-C Players of the Week this fall.
Sam Bartlett | Offensive Player of the Week
• Senior from St. Louis, Mo.
• Had eight receptions for a career-high 188 yards
• Scored three touchdowns with catches of 47, 19 and 17 yards
• Helped the offense tally 424 yards, with 331 coming through the air
• Second in the conference with 307 receiving yards through the first two games
Brendan Holmes | Defensive Player of the Week
• Senior from Atlantic, Iowa
• Had 11 tackles and three forced fumbles to lead the defense
• Sacked the quarterback to force a fumble on Chicago's own 24-yard line, allowing the Storm to kick a field goal four plays later to go up 27-23 in the fourth quarter
• Second in the conference with 20 tackles