Indianola, Iowa -- The Simpson College "S" Club has chosen four student-athletes to be inducted into the College's Athletic Hall of Fame at this year's Red & Gold Celebration, held Friday, Oct. 18 in Hubbell Hall at the Kent Campus Center.
The 2019 "S" Club Hall of Fame Class includes All-American track and field thrower Nickolas Andersen '99, All-American women's basketball player Carrie Larson '09, two-sport star in women's basketball and soccer, Whitney Franker Lawler '09 and two-time all-region men's golfer Michael Martin '05.
Keith Ellingson will be inducted into the Coaches Hall of Fame for his successes as the head coach of the Storm cross country and track and field programs from 1986-2001. He continues to serve as an assistant coach for both teams.
In addition to those four honorees, two other individuals will be recognized as part of the program: Dick Buxton Award winner Jan Everhart and Double "S" Award winner Ric Coy '88.
"We are very proud to announce the 2019 Hall of Fame class," Athletic Director Bob Nutgrass said. "Induction into the Hall of Fame is reserved for a select few and these former student-athletes and coaches are more than qualified. Each one is a great representation of Simpson's long tradition of success. This group of inductees deserves to have their names placed among other Simpson legends."
"S" Club Hall of Fame Class of 2018
Membership in the Hall of Fame is reserved for individuals who have lettered in a varsity sport at Simpson, have outstanding athletic and academic backgrounds and have been successful citizens since their college years.
Nickolas Andersen '99 (football and track and field)
• 1997 All-American in shotput
• Holds the program's second-best mark in the outdoor shotput with a throw of 16.61 meters
• 4-time letterwinner in both football and track and field
• Helped the football team to conference championships and NCAA Playoff berths 1996-97
Carrie Larson '09 (women's basketball)
• 2009 Division III News Fifth Team All-American
• 2009 D3Hoops.com All-West Third Team selection
• 2009 IIAC MVP
• Helped lead team to three conference championships, four NCAA Tournament berths and two Sweet 16 appearances
Whitney Franker Lawler '09 (women's basketball and soccer)
• 2-time First-Team All-IIAC performer in both basketball and soccer
• 4-time conference champion, winning three in basketball and one in soccer
• Ranks first in women's soccer history with 401 saves, 39 wins and 24 shutouts
• Helped lead the basketball team to three conference championships, four NCAA Tournament berths and two Sweet 16 appearances
• 2009 Barborka Award Winner
Michael Martin '05 (men's basketball and golf)
• 3-time All-Conference selection in golf
• 2-time Golf Coaches of American All-Region performer in 2004 and 2005
• 2003 IIAC Men's Golf Most Valuable Player and Championship Medalist, the program's first recipient since 1970
• 4-time letterwinner both in golf and basketball
Coaches Hall of Fame
Membership in the Coaches Hall of Fame is reserved for coaches who have made significant contributions to the college, the athletic program, his or her sport and, most importantly, the students of Simpson College. The coach must have demonstrated exceptional personal and leadership qualities while exhibiting high moral and ethical characteristics.
Keith Ellingson — Head coach of the Simpson cross country and track and field programs from 1986-2001 and current assistant coach for both teams … his teams set 20 school records during that time and garnered 63 All-America certificates throughout his 15-year tenure … the men's cross country team finished ninth at the 1986 NCAA Division III National Championships and the men's track and field squad took fifth in 1988, both are program bests … was president of the NCAA Division III Cross Country Coaches Association … 1994 recipient of the Indianola/Simpson College Community Service Award.
Dick Buxton and Double "S" Award Winners
The Dick Buxton Award is given to members of the community who have given time and effort in support of athletics at Simpson College while the Double "S" Award is presented to former athletes who have found success in their careers after graduating from Simpson.
Janet Everhart (Dick Buxton Award) — Professor of Religion at Simpson since 2003 … huge supporter of Simpson Athletics … member of the "chain gang" during home football games … traveled to most women's basketball contests and attended every home game.
Ric Coy '88 (Double "S" Award) — Director of Student-Athlete Developmentat the UCLA … has been part of the Academic and Student Services staff at UCLA since 2003 … letterwinner for the Simpson tennis and track and field teams.